What we do.
Weva helps senior leaders develop themselves and their teams to become even better leaders, creating more leaders around them.
Acting as a business confidante to chairs and chief executives, we help navigate the fog of uncertainty in a fast-changing world. We look at the big picture as well as the detail, helping decision makers to grasp opportunities and manage emerging risks to create enduring success for themselves, their teams and their organisations.
We always provide candid feedback and advice based on our observation of the leader and their team: a constructive and critical friend.
We work in three main areas:
Board effectiveness and Board development: we look beyond pure governance issues to focus on the Board as a team, helping it understand the impact of its own dynamics within the context of the organisation’s purpose, strategy, culture and operational realities.
We undertake formal Board effectiveness reviews and also provide support for the Board’s continuous improvement, including Board development sessions to act on recommendations in the Board review.
Executive team development: we coach and support executive teams to function more effectively, enabling them to work better together to deliver the organisation’s purpose and strategic goals.
Volatile market conditions and pervasive uncertainty can lead to siloed behaviour and defensive rather than collaborative behaviours – effective team coaching can help refocus the team on its shared goals and improve individual and team performance.
Coaching for leaders: we work with Chairs, CEOs and Executive Directors to extend their leadership capability and impact, to lead effectively when the right decision is not immediately obvious, and to nurture their own resilience in challenging contexts.
When we can help.
We provide support at a number of points in an organisation’s growth including:
- Appointment of a new Chair, CEO or Executive Director – helping them to define what success looks like for them, their team and for the organisation as a whole
- The re-formation of a Board or Executive team following significant changes in membership, or a decline in the team’s effectiveness in a period of stress or change
- A shift in business strategy which requires senior leadership focus and alignment at both the Board and Executive team level, and which challenges leaders to address blind spots and develop new capabilities to deliver sustained success
Examples of the support we provide.
We work with the Board, Executive team and key individuals to enhance their leadership impact.
- Formal external Board effectiveness reviews in line with the UK Code on Corporate Governance and Code of Good Practice for Government organisations.
- Board development sessions to implement Board review recommendations and enhance the team’s performance
- Support for the Board’s continuous improvement and advice on self-evaluation using our Board Effectiveness Framework
- Individual coaching support for Chairs to explore feedback from the Board review, enhance their leadership impact and help ensure the Board’s effectiveness
The human dynamics are essentially the same for any team, since it’s the way members draw the best from each other in the interests of the organisation and its stakeholders that determines the team’s success or otherwise. With over 25 years’ experience of working with senior teams, we understand what makes for an effective team and how to support the team to improve continuously.
All Board reviews are carried out entirely by Eva Beazley in order to give the Chair confidence that insights and advice, on what can be sensitive issues, are based on Eva’s confidential 1:1 interviews with Board members. Eva also observes one or more Board meetings to add another important perspective to the Board’s ways of working.
Executive Team Development
- Structured Executive team coaching support at points of inflection, for example:
- To build the team’s alignment and commitment to a change in strategic direction
- To explore the organisational culture required to support the strategy – and the implications for leadership
- To address the consequences of rapidly changing market conditions for the team’s capability, resilience and leadership effectiveness
- 360 degree feedback programmes to identify the capabilities and behaviours the senior leaders need to succeed, and to highlight team strengths and gaps.
- Psychometrics (Lumina Spark, MBTI) to support awareness of self and others and build on the strengths of diversity in the team
Coaching for leaders
- Formal 1:1 coaching programme, typically over six or twelve months
- Informal ‘sounding board’ discussions to test ideas and offer insights
- Leader’s Legacy coaching programme: a more structured approach to identify the legacy the leader wants to create, their long term goals, stakeholders key to their success and how to prioritise their energy and attention to secure their legacy.